Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Welcome to KAKS!

So, it doesn't take a genius to know that knitting is the best. It's a hobby you can do pretty much anywhere. It's soothing for the soul. It's creating something out of string! And yet a lot of people seem to give us knitters a lot of crap for doing it.

You've been given the stares and the "grandma" comments. You've been teased from the very same people you've given your beautiful knitted gifts to. You've been scrutinized for a hobby that you love, and you've had enough.

Welcome to KAKS, Knitters Against Knitting Stereotypes. I tried to get a url that said KAKS but it was taken by a guy who doesn't seem to blog about anything and speaks in a totally different language. I could buy a url and have my boyfriend spend some time designing a whole site, but considering neither of us have jobs at the moment, the free blogger will have to do.

I should note that this idea stemmed from a few posts in Ravelry, of course. I'd like to thank the Capitol Hill Knitters for the inspiration, or really the endless rant.

And with that, tell me your stories. Everyone has at least one. And it has to be stopped. I don't make fun of your obsession with guys throwing balls around while tackling each other to the ground, so why do you make fun of the fact that I like to knit?

I'm thinking protests and buttons and parades. Or maybe just a nice, friendly discussion.

Who's coming with me?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This actually happened to me for the first time last week at an after birthday party.

The girlfriend of a friend overheard me discussing the kids knitting classes I teach. She seemed disgusted to find out that kids were learning to knit. They should be climbing trees! She screeched. I explained to her that it was winter and they wanted to learn to knit. She said they didn't want to learn, that they're parents forced them. That they weren't old people yet and shouldn't be forced to do old people things. I told her I liked knitting (I'm 29). She had to leave to get another drink.

k a t
knitter of 11 years

Aubriana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubriana said...

Hi! How do I post entries on this blog? Do you have to add me? I am somewhat unfamiliar with blogger.

Anyway, I wanted to share this article with you all:

http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/01/today_the_stranger_suggests_321

Heidiblossom said...

Yo wassup my knitta. Somehow I would like your actual email address as I have a possible business proposition. Perhaps hit me on myspace?